Monday, August 17, 2009

Fish oils and diabetes

I recently added some research gighlighted by the Physicians For Responsible Medicine on a possible link between fish oils and diabetes.

Lyn who follows this blog made a comment:

"Interesting...There are so many benefits to fish and fish oil that are not mentioned here. Wonder if the benefits of eating once or twice a week along with an otherwise healthy diet wouldn't outweigh the possible risk discussed here."

I've only just started allowing comments and I inadvertently rejected the comment! More haste less speed. Unlike other aspects of computers, I can't find an undo button. (Sad that life doesn't have an undo button either!)

So, I decided the easiest thing was to print it in the blog itself.

My comment on Lyn's comment is:

Yes, there are well documented benefits of fish oils, but this research and concern about heavy metal contamination of oily fish and fish supplements suggests a degree of caution may be appropriate. Flax seed oil can give similar benefits without having to kill fish either. Better for the fish and possibly better for us too.

No comments:

Post a Comment